Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A pantry post

Reading the blogs about 30 for 30 has inspired me try and shop more in my own closet.  That concept also made its way to the kitchen. Last week I posted about how the hubs and I are trying to eat the food in our pantry and/or freezer.   While I was working out I was thinking about dinner.  I pretty much think about my next meal whenever I workout.  I knew we had some crushed tomatoes and polenta, so I decided to throw something together with those ingredients.  I added can of anchovies as well (anchovies just add a nutty flavor when cooked down).
a few items from pantry
 I sauteed some onions and garlic with the anchovies then added the crushed tomatoes.  Once seasoned,  I let it simmer and moved on to prep for a salad and the dressing.  I am a huge fan of a quick balsamic vinaigrette.   I fried slices of the polenta in olive oil along with some baby portobello mushrooms.  I plated the polenta, mushrooms and topped with the sauce.  Parmesan cheese was sprinkled on everything and I then enjoyed a quick meal.   Hubs is working, so it was just me & the pups. 

served on a small plate
  
and a generous salad to round out the meal
I am not a vegetarian, but I do not consume meat with every meal.   I think I need to go find something sweet since dinner is out of the way.   And the dishes are calling me....

No comments:

Post a Comment