Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gone Green

There is one meal that screams summer to me above all others, maybe because the hubs is screaming for it!   He has started adding carbs back into his diet and this was the one thing he requested I make.  I love it since the oven does not get turned on and the kitchen is filled with the aroma of basil.  I plant extra basil just to keep up with the almost weekly craving of this meal.    I tossed it with whole wheat penne and shrimp.    I love the vibrant green color. I snapped some quick pics with my phone using the light from the kitchen window. 

 





Pesto (modified from Giada De Laurentiis)
  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 2 or 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
In a  blender or food processor, pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture forms a smooth and thick consistency. Add the Parmesan and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  

my hint - If using over pasta, add about 1/2 cup of pasta water before tossing it with pasta.


It is the end of strawberry season and my sister & SIL picked the last at a local farm.  She was kind enough to share with me.  Not enough to make jam, so I made a low sugar pie to keep the carbs down esp for the hubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment